Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Switching from Print Journalism to Public Relations

When I first started college, my major was Multi-Platform Journalism. This involved interviewing sources, doing research, and then writing a 600-word article. As I reached my junior year I began to find myself disliking this sort of writing. I had to stick to the facts and nothing but the facts. I began to realize that print journalism was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Although it was too late to change my sequence and restart on the Public Relations track, I did manage to find a loophole.
If you find yourself in the same situation as me, don’t panic! It’s not too late! You can still go into public relations without changing your major! You just have to alter your writing style a little bit. Public relations requires you to think more about your audience and allow your creativity to flow. I find that when writing plans, it is easier to find your photos first and then think of fun and interesting captions to go with them! It is also important to remember that a lot of online readers tend to skim articles. So, you have to capture their attention and keep it with only a few sentences or words! The best thing about Public Relations and writing for social media is that it isn’t routine, every day is something different and that’s why I am so happy to have changed my career path before graduating!

I have been very blessed to be given the opportunity to work with Rebecca Adele PR & Events. In just the three weeks that I have been here I have learned so much! I have been able to break free of the writing style I was so accustomed to and have allowed the creativity to flow. Being here has only made my decision to continue a career path in PR even more certain! So, if you find yourself stuck between the two, my advice is to go for it! Maybe later on in life you’ll find yourself missing print but at least you’ll have the skill set to write for both and your opportunities will be endless!

Written by Tiffany Jackson of Rebecca Adele PR & Events

No comments:

Post a Comment